lf you are the victim of IDENTITY THEFT, take the following steps right away:
- Place a fraud alert on your bank/credit account. Contact any one of the three major credit bureaus. As soon as one credit bureau confirms your fraud alert, the other two will automatically be notified.
Equifax 1-800-525-6285 -or- www.equifax.com
Experian 1-888-397-3742 -or- www.experian.com
Transunion 1-800-680-7289 -or- www.transunion.com
- Obtain a copy of your credit report through one of the above credit bureaus or by visiting: https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action
- Close any accounts that have been tampered with or opened fraudulently.
- File a report with your local police department. Keep the report number as a reference. Case #___________
- File a report with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). The FTC can be reached at: 1-800-438-4338 -or- https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/features/feature-0014-identity-theft
- lf the fraud occurred via the Internet, file a complaint with the Internet Crime Center( lC3). lC3 can be reached at 1-800-251-3221 -or- https://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx